Learn why and how we’re deprecating our legacy configuration management system, AWS CloudFormation, towards Terraform.
At Adevinta, we use “Infrastructure as code” to manage our configuration. Although the AWS CloudFormation service was reliable, there were several flaws that led us to migrate to a better solution - Terraform. In this Medium article, we discuss our reasons for moving and the process we followed to deprecate our CloudFormation stacks.
- The advantages of using “infrastructure as code”
- The drawbacks of AWS CloudFormation
- Our step-by-step process for a successful deprecation
- How to release resources from their old stack
- Two ways to import resources onto Terraform
- Why Terraform is more convenient for configuration management